Sewing machines are different. Today, you can find 200-, 500-, and even 2000-dollar models, but not everyone can afford to get a device for a couple of thousands of dollars. But the question is, will you even need to spend that much money? What would be better, a 400-dollar sewing machine with a nice set of features or a 1500-dollar monster capable of working 24/7?
In today’s review/guide, we will try to give a comprehensive answer to that question. In this article, we review 10 of the best sewing machine for beginners. While we cannot tell precisely which model would be the most fitting for you, there are a couple of steps that you need to take to make your search much quicker. The goal of our buying guide is to help you with knowing what you need and can find out there.
But that’s not all for today as we are going to examine 10 great models of best sewing machine for making clothes, which are perfectly suitable for both beginners and advanced tailors. To establish our point on “sewing machines are different”, we picked a wide range of devices from simple and mechanical 100-dollar models to over 400-dollar multi functional computerized machines. Hopefully, it will give you an idea of what you can find today.
Enough with words. Let’s start our review without further ado.
1. Brother CS6000i- Best Sewing and Quilting Machine for Beginners - Overall Best
The first sewing machine in our list is cs6000i by Brother Sewing. This best beginner sewing machine for clothes versatile machine is ideal for a wide range of sewing projects. That’s possible thanks to built-in 60 sewing stitches. Another nice feature contributing to cs6000i’s flexibility is its detachable oversized table for larger projects.
With a touch of the button, you can choose your stitch. The backlit LCD display will allow you to easily customize the project’s setting and clearly see them anytime.
Speaking of buttons, the power button will let you work without the included foot console. Then, the adjustable sewing speed is what will give you control over the process of sewing.
With cs6000i, threading will be extremely easy through the machine’s automatic needle threader. Besides, the numbered diagram printed on the machine will make it even more convenient.
The top jam-resistant quick-set drop-in bobbin will make installing and accessing the bobbin a child’s play. You will no longer worry about fishing for the bobbin thread.
The built-in free arm is perfect for sewing smaller items like sleeves or pants legs on children’s clothing. What makes it even more of a breeze is the brightly lit sewing area, which is especially useful with darker fabrics.
CS6000i comes with a rich set of accessories including accessory feet, needle set, spool pin, bobbins, and more. This model comes backed up by 25-year limited warranty and lifetime free phone support.
- Start/stop function to allow work without the foot control.
- Easy threading with an automatic needle threader and numbered diagram on the machine.
- Simple to use and bright display.
- Jam-resistant quick-set bobbin.
- A large set of accessories.
- Sewing & quilting both facilities.
- Not suitable for thick fabric.
- Shipped within the US and to APO/FPO addresses only.
- Thread tension adjust is difficult.
2. SINGER 7258 Easy Sewing Machine
The next machine, 7258 by Singer, is for those who want to get more stitches with their device. This model comes with 100 built-in stitches, including 9 essential, 8 stretch, 76 decorative, and 7 fully automatic buttonholes. The stitches are easy to select through the convenient buttons and display.
But sewing machines are not only about stitches, so 7258 has some great features to offer. As you would expect from a modern machine, this model comes with an automatic needle threading feature. The programmable needle can be stopped at the highest position for easier removal of fabric from the machine and the down position ideal for pivoting and quilting. 7258 has twin needle capacity and supports 13 needle positions.
If you don’t want to bother with the foot control, you can unplug it and use the power button to operate the sewing machine. Use the speed control to achieve the desired performance. This feature is specially useful for beginner sewers and those who want precise stitching.
The top-loaded bobbin is easy-to-load and has a clear cover for a convenient monitor of thread supply. The area over the bobbin is LED-illuminated for better visibility.
What makes this model especially easy to start working with is the instructional manual (English, Spanish, French) and intro DVD.
Among all other models, 7258 is the best user-friendly singer sewing machine for beginners. You can order 7258 with a carrying case to ease its transport and make its storage more secure.
- Programmable needle with down/up positions.
- Twin-needle capacity and 13 needle positions.
- Sewing speed adjustment for those who don’t want to deal with foot controls.
- Top-loaded drop-in bobbin with clear cover.
- Comes with instructional DVD.
- Optional carrying case.
- A large set of accessories (10 presser feet, set of needles and bobbins, etc.) included.
- Perform well only on light weight fabric.
- 7258 supports 110V current only as well.
- Not suitable for decorative stitch.
- Sewing speed control is difficult.
3. SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine - best sewing machines for intermediate sewers
With stitching, this model truly has no issues. It has such features as automatic electronic thread trimmer and mirror imaging and elongation function with stitch editing capabilities, which greatly complete the 600-stitch set.
9960 is all about automation. Besides the aforementioned features, this machine has electronic autopilot to allow sewing without the use of foot controls. Then, the only thing left for you to do will be controlling the sewing speed and stop the machine when necessary.
Like the previous model by Singer, 9960 has programmable up/down the needle. Besides, the machine supports 25 needle positions for more precise sewing.
What makes 9960 even more convenient is the included extra table. It will provide you with a bigger surface to support your larger pieces of fabric. To illuminate your working area well, the machine has two bright LED lights.
Another notable feature of this model is its huge accessory set, including 18 presser feet, bonus presser feet, needle set, bobbins, screwdrivers, and much more.
- Convenient automatic features like electronic autopilot, programmable needle, and electronic thread trimmer.
- Supports 25 needle positions.
- Extension facility for more work area.
- Has auto-reverse.
- Drop-in bobbin with a clear cover.
- Large accessory kit.
- Not shipped internationally.
- Only works with 120V current.
- Don’t expect this machine to deal with thicker fabric.
4. Brother SE600 Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- Touch-screen display for full control over the machine’s features.
- Large and illuminated working area.
- Auto-threading needle.
- Convenient thread cutter.
- Jam-resistant top-loaded bobbin.
- Nice accessory kit.
- Usb drive to upload design.
- Additional digitizing software require to convert image file format.
- Hardware error may occur occasionally.
5. Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine - best sewing machine for beginner sewer
- Simple and affordable, ideal for beginners.
- Auto threading needle to allow you to start sewing almost instantly.
- Drop-in bobbins deliver even and quality stitches.
- Large-set of accessories.
- Proper instruction video.
- Not adjustable foot controls.
- No start/stop feature.
- Not suitable for thick fabric.
6. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine - best sewing machine for new sewers
Liked Brother Sewing XM2701, but it lacked some features important for you? Maybe Janome 2212 will satisfy you. Although this model has fewer stitches (only 12), it has some more variety to it.
The first and maybe the most important feature for you is the reverse lever, which will help you to easily lock the stitches. Another nice feature is the stitch length adjustment, which will add more versatility to your projects and, maybe, will fit your needs more.
Other features of 2212 are quite basic. The free arm will allow you to control the fabric better and sew more small pieces. The machine comes with automatic bobbin thread winding to save your time and make winding more convenient. It has an illuminated work surface to help you with sewing darker fabrics.
You can get 2212 in three options – the machine itself, machine + Bonus Bundle, and machine + Bonus Package. The base kit includes a set of feet, needles, bobbins, a screwdriver, seam ripper, vinyl dust cover, etc. The bonus bundle and bonus package generally include the same accessories – an additional pack of bobbins and set of needles. One might argue that it’s not much, but right now, each of the options comes at the same price.
For some, the simple design of the machine may be a huge drawback. It doesn’t have a start/stop function, it has a minimal set of built-in stitches. Overall, it is the most modest and best lightweight user-friendly sewing machine for beginners on the list. But that isn’t necessarily a downside. If the features of this model are enough for you, why not consider buying it?
- The simplest machine on the list.
- Great for what it is designed to do.
- You can adjust the length of the stitches.
- Free arm design.
- Has a built-in thread cutter.
- Auto bobbin winding.
- You can choose between three sets.
- Doesn’t have a start/stop function.
- Manual needle threading.
- Only 12 built-in stitches.