Some of us work on fabrics once a week while others sew on their sewing machines quite a lot, maybe even for several hours every day! It is obvious that the majority of sewing machines won’t be capable of satisfying the increased needs of advanced or professional tailors. In this case, getting a heavy duty sewing machine capable of sewing any fabric would be the most appropriate choice.
And we are going to help you with that! Welcome to our reviews of the best heavy duty sewing machine! We will examine what makes them the best of the best and, in addition, give you a couple of tips on finding the right pick for you!
Let’s get started without further ado!
1. SINGER Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine - Overall Best
The first model on our list is 4432 by singer which you can consider one of the best heavy duty sewing machine for home use. This machine’s heavy-duty stainless steel metal frame allows for greater durability while working with heavier fabrics. Additionally, the presser foot lets you sew materials of a variety of thicknesses. The motor delivering 1,100 stitches per minute will help you with completing your tasks quicker.
This industrial strength heavy duty sewing machine comes with a richer set of built-in stitches than the majority of the reviewed models. This machine has 32 stitches, including 6 basic, 7 stretch, 18 decorative stitches, and 1 auto buttonhole.
The auto needle threader will allow you to quickly start working while the reverse function will help you with your finishing touch. Besides, the top-load bobbin system greatly contributes to this machine’s easiness of use. Keep in mind that this model doesn’t have an auto trimmer thread . 4432 singer sewing machine has a free arm for work with small pieces of fabric. As for the accessory set, 4432 includes basic items like feet, seam ripper, needles, bobbins, and others.
- A variety of built-in stitches.
- High power motor delivering fast speed.
- Presser foot and three-needle positions for a wide range of fabrics.
- Automatic needle threader and reverse.
- Convenient top-loading bobbin.
- It comes with a good set of accessories.
- Strong and durable with its heavy duty metal frame.
- It doesn’t handle heavy fabrics very well.
- Only supports 120V voltage.
2. Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine for Heavy Fabric
Our second best choice is HD3000 heavy duty by Janome, another general-purpose sewing machine to sew heavy fabric. Janome HD3000 comes with 18 built-in stitches for more versatility in your projects. With the flip-up panel, you can quickly select the required stitch and start working on your fabric.
The built-in automatic needle threader will allow you to avoid straining your eyes trying to thread the needle. In addition, it is much quicker than manual threading! Just load the drop-in bobbin and activate the threading.
You can adjust the foot pressure with a simple turn of a dial, which will allow you to sew fabrics of different thicknesses. Besides, the extra arm capability will provide you with more control for sewing small pieces of fabric. As you finish your project, just activate the reverse to lock the last stitch in place, and you are ready to gofor the next task.
This heavy duty commercial sewing machine comes with an incredible amount of accessories, including hard case/cover, accessory feet (over edge C, rolled hem D, zipper E, buttonhole B & R), a pack of needles, bobbins, and much more.
- Suitable for basic sewing.
- 18 built-in stitches.
- Powerful motor.
- Strong feed dog.
- Difficult to control stitch width.
- Boobbin winder is not perfect to wind thread.
3. Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
Up-next on our review of heavy duty sewing machine is HD1000 by Janome which will give you the best sewing experience. Its body is made of durable aluminum, which will greatly increase the lifespan of this sewing machine.
HD1000 comes with 14 built-in stitches, including a 4-step buttonhole. The machine has a convenient dial to let you choose the necessary stitch selection. You can additionally adjust the stitch length and zigzag width, which will allow you to work on much more personalized projects. Overall, HD1000 is a nice pick if you won’t be needing too many stitches.
The 3-piece drop down feed dogs will allow for free-motion sewing, which will provide you with more flexibility. Besides, the extra high presser foot lifter allows the machine to sew thicker fabrics.
For a quick start, HD1000 comes with a built-in needle threader, allowing you to easily thread the needle and begin working. And after you are done, the reverse feature will help you with locking the final stitch. Unfortunately, this machine doesn’t come with an auto trimmer to make working on it a little bit quicker.
Just remove the storage cover to be able to work on smaller pieces of fabric with ease! The front loading vertical oscillating hook bobbin may not be as convenient as top-load mechanisms, but it does a pretty good job with preparing the machine for work.
HD1000 comes with quite a rich set of accessories, including feet (general-purpose, zipper, blind hemming, sliding buttonhole), needles, bobbins, a hard-sided cover, and more! We also have a detailed review on Janome HD1000 in case if you want to check it.
- Drop dog feeding system.
- Needle threader and reverse to quickly start working and lock the stitches in the end.
- Rich set of accessories.
- Automatic bobbin winder.
- Only works with 120V.
- Not shipped internationally.
- Price is high comparing to others.
- Not recommended for advanced sewer.
4. Janome Memory Craft 6300 Professional Heavy Duty Quilting Sewing Machine
The next model, MC-6300P, is little bit different. That’s because it is capable of quilting as well! If you’re looking for a sewing + quilting machine, this will be a nice choice.
MC-6300P has 66 built-in stitches,including 4 buttonholes. You can quickly choose one with the stitch selector buttons and then keep track of your pick via the LED display. Besides, you can regulate the length and width of the stitches with the large and clear buttons.
As you would expect from a modern machine, MC-6300P features a drop down feed dog control. With the included knee lift, you will be able to raise and lower the presser feet whenever needed.
This heavy duty sewing machine ensures that you get to working as soon as possible with the built-in auto needle threader. Later, you can press the reverse button to lock the last stitch and then use the automatic thread cutter with memory capability to cut the thread. Then, you can immediately move on to your next project.
- Quilting and sewing capabilities in one machine.
- Drop feed dog to raise/lower the presser foot.
- Auto needle threader, reverse, and cutter with memory.
- Strong & durable body.
- Not very clear manual.
- Supports 120V only.
5. Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
Up next on our list of best hd sewing machine is Sailrite LSZ-1. This one is exceptionally good for heavy weight fabric, and let’s explore why. First of all, LSZ-1 comes with only zigzag and straight stitches. Not enough? Then this model is not for you. This sewing machine has a minimum of stitches but it uses them much more efficiently than models with dozens and hundreds of them.
Both of the stitches can be customized. You can set the variable stitch length of the straight stitch to up to 6 mm and the width of the zigzag stitch to up to 5 mm. The included Power Plus Balance Wheel offers twice the power and size of traditional flywheels. The clutching system fully transfers the balance wheel’s power to the needle.
LSZ-1 comes with extra wide presser walking foot with a built-in piping tunnel. It has 3/8” foot lift as well. All of these features will allow you to sew such heavy duty materials as sailcloth, canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics. LSZ-1 considered as one of the best workhorse sewing machine which has been successfully tested in sewing up to 10 layers of heavy canvas and 8 layers of Dacron.
LSZ-1 is backed up by 2-year limited warranty. This machine is quite interesting. It is not like the multi functional computerized models. The sewing machine has only a couple of features, but it does what it is designed to do extremely well! So if you are after great straight and zigzag stitch quality on heavy fabrics, this model is for you.
- Tough and simple build.
- Extra wide presser foot and width adjustment.
- The included flywheel delivers up to 2x more power.
- Walking foot with 3/8” lift.
- Only two stitches.
- Built to work well, but offers little to no convenience.
6. JUKI LU 1508 H Industrial Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
JUKI LU 1508 H is a whole another level of quality grade machine. This industrial piece of technology is particularly suitable for professionals working on extra heavy fabric all day long. Let’s examine this machine more in-depth.
This commercial grade heavy duty sewing machine has only one stitch, which is straight. The length of that stitch can be easily adjusted via the convenient stitch dial. One may think that only one stitch for the price of this machine is not nearly enough. But you should know that highly specialized sewing machines usually come with one-two built-in stitches. Professionals tend to buy several sewing machines for different stitches rather than one with all of the necessary functions because they know that they won’t get the consistent quality of stitching otherwise.
The 1-needle machine has a dual-tension mechanism, which allows 1508 H to work with thick threads under high tension. This additionally means that the machine will be able to work with a broader range of materials.
The long 190R needle and the needle bar stroke of 38 mm are what make this machine capable of working with extra heavy multi layer materials. 1508 H has many features bringing enhanced operability such as the clear working area around the needle, front-loading bobbin, and the large hand wheel. The lifter mechanism is built into the bed, which reduces the pressure required for its operation.
- Exceptionally tough and efficient.
- Straight stitch with adjustable length.
- A dual-tension mechanism for support of thick thread under tension.
- Long 190R needle and needle bar stroke of 38 mm.
- Designed to sew heavyweight materials.
- Only single needle stitch.
- No free arm.
7. Toyota J17XL Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
The next model on our review is J17XL by Toyota which is more down to earth. But don’t think that it will be less capable of working with weight materials. With J17XL, you can easily sew 12 layers of soft denim or 9 layers of hard denim. This sewing machine will surely make working with heavy weight fabrics less of an issue.
J17XL comes with 17 built-in stitches, which are easy to select thanks to the big and clear dial on the side of the machine. You can adjust the length of the stitches as well. This sewing machine is another model trying to make your work much easier.
Firstly, the top drop-in bobbin system will allow you to quickly install the bobbin into the machine. Then, the auto needle threader will do its job, freeing you from the necessity of getting frustrated over trying to stick the thread into the thin needle. After you are done, just lock the stitch with the reverse function. But unfortunately, no auto thread cutter with this machine.
JX17L includes a large 11.8” x 16.5” removable extension table to greatly help you with larger projects. You can remove the table, which will allow you to conveniently work with smaller fabrics. This machine comes with a wide range of accessories, including accessory feet (gliding, zipper, overcasting, zigzag, buttonhole), needles, bobbins, softcover, and others.
- Good for heavy denim fabrics as well as light fabric.
- It comes with a large extension table as well as accessory feet, needles and more.
- Light weight machine.
- A low number of stitches.
- No auto thread remover.
- Not industrial grade.
8. JUKI DDL-8700-Servo Industrial Straight Stitch Sewing Machine
DDL-8700 by Juki is a workhorse machine that is known as a durable single needle single stitch machine. It is a perfect lightweight machine that enables working on soft and medium fabrics. The reason that it proves to be a great machine for kid’s clothes also.
Normally made by Juki machines are proved to be a powerful sewing machine than the normal sewing machines that are available in the market but it is much economical than them. The powerful servo motor makes it the best-selling machine. Another interesting feature of the machine has little sound that is perfect for home use. Juki-8700 powerful machine is capable of stitching 5500 stitches per minute which is ideal one for speedy work.
The machine’s only disadvantage would be the assembling part of it. You need a mechanic to get this assembled. Other than this even the maintenance is easy with the auto lubricating feature. If you are a fashion designer then it might be a good choice for you to do your straight and fast stitching. This machine is capable of handling clothes in style as well as items like normal shirts, skirts, undergarments, etc.
- Easy threading with bobbin changing system.
- Durable and ultra first speed.
- Motor doesn’t make noise.
- Large working space.
- Only straight stitches are allowed.
- No adjustable table.
- Can’t sew multilayer of heavy fabric.
9. SINGER 191D-30 Heavy Duty Machine
Another industrial-grade sewing machine on our review 191D-30 by Singer is another heavy duty home sewing machine for the most demanding tailors. This sewing machine works at an astronomical speed of 4,000 stitches per minute! The self-lubrication system of191D-30 is what allows the machine to consistently deliver the performance one would expect from it.
This metal sewing machine has only one stitch with adjustable length. Combined with the presser foot and the powerful sewing motor, the stitch can be easily applied to multiple layers of heavy materials! With this machine, you can easily sew lightest tricots and heaviest denim!
The presser foot can be lifted for 13.0 mm with the knee lifter and 5.5 mm without it. This is a nice addition to letting you sew fabrics of varying thickness.
Another noteworthy feature of 191D-30 is the included sturdy H-leg stand with an installed foot controller. It provides you with a safe and stable working space, which is perfect for larger projects. By removing the table, you get a much narrower work-space. Additionally, 191D-30 comes with a straight-stitch foot, needles, screwdrivers, bobbins, machine rest pin, and oil container.
- Straight stitch with adjustable length.
- Works well with either light and medium weight materials.
- Lifter for presser foot height adjustment.
- Comes with a sturdy H-leg stand.
- Includes all the necessary accessories.
- The ultra first speed may be harder for control.
- No auto needle threader.
- Not perfect for heavyweight canvas fabric.
10. Brother ST371HD Strong and Tough Sewing Machine
Meet the next machine on our list is brother heavy duty sewing machine ST371HD. This model is an ideal choice for beginners, and you will soon see why. This affordable brother sewing machine comes with 37 unique built-in stitches. Additionally, you can widely adjust the length and the width of the stitches for more personalization.
The metal needle plate included heavyweight needles, and 6 sewing feet will allow you to work on a wider range of thick fabrics. You shouldn’t expect too much from ST371HD though as it is more like a beginner’s regular sewing machine.
The bobbin system of this sewing machine is top-drop, meaning that it is loaded from the top, which is much more convenient and reliable than other designs. Then, the auto threader will thread the needle and prepare the machine for your project. At last, the reverse will lock the final stitch, but you will have to cut the thread manually as ST371HD doesn’t have an auto cutting thread remover.
For easy work on small fabrics, this model comes with a convertible sewing surface. In addition to the 6 feet (zipper, blind stitch, buttonhole, spring action zigzag, and nonstick), ST371HD includes a twin needle, 3-piece needle set, 4 bobbins, extra spool pin, 2 spool caps, screwdriver, and documentation. Finally, this tough sewing machine is covered by 25-year limited warranty.
- Strong needles can sew a wide variety of materials.
- Easy to use and quick to set up.
- Strong and tough heavy duty metal frame.
- Rich set of accessory kit.
- Not suitable for multi layer of heavy denim/canvas fabric.
- Few complain regarding customer support.
11. Singer CG590 Commercial Grade Sewing Machine
The last model on our review of the best heavy duty sewing machine is Singer CG590. This one is a great intermediate-level device suitable for commercial use. CG590 features 18 built-in stitches, including one four-step buttonhole. With the on board dial, you can easily select the necessary stitch. Then, pick the desired stitch length and width via the selectors.
The versatility of CG590 is ensured by the adjustable thread tension and adjustable presser foot with auto pressure control. You will be able to sew any material, be it the lightest tricot or the heaviest denim. The horizontal threading system will deliver more even feeding, which reduces poor stitch formation and thread breakage.
The 7-segment feeding systemensures that the fabric is fully supported by the presser foot. Paired with thebox feed, CG590 provides you with consistently perfect stitch quality. CG590 comes with such convenientfeatures like a top-drop bobbin, auto needle threader, reverse, and automatic thread cutter. With them, you will get the most out of the machine in a short time.
This sewing machine has a free arm as well. Just remove the storage cover so you can sew small fabrics. CG590 includes such accessories as feet (all-purpose, zipper, buttonhole, satin stitch), needles, class 66 bobbins. At last, this model is covered by 25-year limited warranty.
- Adjustable stitch width & length and thread tension.
- Three needle positions plus adjustable presser foot for more versatility.
- Multiple layers of fabric can sew together.
- Horizontal threading system and box feed for perfect stitches.
- Has top-load bobbin, auto threader, reverse, and auto thread trimmer.
- Works with 120V only.
- Complaints on the manual’s readability.
Now that you have 11 top rated heavy duty sewing machines before you, you need to know how to choose the right one. To be able to do that, you will have to research the main features of sewing machines. Here, we are going to help you exactly with that.
Types of Sewing Machine
Let’s start with sewing machine types. There are two main types of them, mechanical and computerized. Sometimes, you can meet the term “electrical” instead of “computerized”, but they are typically the same thing.
Mechanical sewing machines are the simplest models you can find. Although they usually have the most basic set of stitches and lack some convenience features, they can do their job as well as comparable computerized sewing machines. The main downside of mechanical machine is that you won’t get such features as auto needle threaders, automatic reverse, customizable stitches, and some other features related to automation and computer connectivity. In general, a mechanical sewing machine is an ideal choice if you won’t be needing all those advanced features and just want the job done.
Computerized sewing machine has everything that mechanical sewing machine models lack. You get more built-in stitches and designs and nice features for increased convenience. Some models even allow you to create your own custom stitches and designs to make your projects much more personal. Usually, computerized sewing machines are much more expensive compared to mechanical machines.
Besides the general types, there are quilting, embroidery machines, and sergers. All of them are designed for their own specific purpose. Quilters are really well at quilting, embroidery sewing machines will be a great pick for decor, and sergers are capable of putting tidy and sturdy seams. Some of those specialized machines can do general sewing as well, but in that case, you won’t get as great results as only-quilting or–embroidery machines.
Now, let’s move on to the features of sewing machines you will need to account for. Modern models come with a huge variety of them, so you will have to really carefully look for the right combination.
What are the main features of heavy-duty sewing machines?
- Built-in stitches. Some sewing machines may have only one stitch while others can come with hundreds and hundreds of built-in stitches. Thanks to that, you can really find the most appropriate machine for your sewing needs. Typically, computerized machines are the devices that come with dozens and hundreds of stitches. In addition, the more stitches a machine has, the more expensive it gets. That’s why knowing precisely how many stitches you will be needing is crucial so you don’t buy an expensive model unnecessarily. But don’t think that the more stitches a machine has, the better it is. Some of the best machines have only one stitch.
- Free-arm design. A free arm will allow you to work with smaller pieces of fabric much more easily. It is basically a narrow work space. With a free arm, you flexibly align the small piece and get the high-quality results you need. Another benefit of free-arm-only machines is that they are typically much more compact compared to models that do not have it.
- Start/stop. The start/stop function allows you to disconnect the foot control and regulate the speed of sewing manually via the on board controls. This feature actually is more like a personal choice as some people can work with the foot console while others are able to create masterpieces by just using the speed regulator. If you hate working with foot controls, look for a machine with the start/stop function as not all of them come with it.
- Bobbin loading mechanism. Mostly, sewing machines come with top-loaded bobbins. The top-load mechanism is the most convenient among others, so buying a machine with one would be great, but that is not mandatory.
- Extension table. With such a table, you will get a bigger work space, allowing you to work on bigger pieces of fabric easier. Some machines come with built-in extension tables whereas others offer removable units. A downside of an inbuilt table is that the machine won’t have a free arm. Some free-arm portable sewing machines come with extension tables, so you can switch between them depending on your current task.
- Accessories. Accessories of sewing machines are another significant thing to consider. They are what can allow you to work on a huge variety of projects. Modern sewing machines come with diverse needles, feet, and other accessories. You should go for most accessories your budget allows you to. Let’s review some of the more in-depth so you understand what we mean.
- Feet. These will decide which fabric you can work on and which stitches you can use. Some of the types of feet are standard, zigzag, zipper, buttonhole, blind hem, overlock, and others. Their names indicate their purpose quite well. You can find some other feet like jeans feet and nonstick feet to work with specific materials like leather and such.
- Needles. Sewing machines can include several types of needles, including, for example, universal or quilting. Besides, the size of a needle’s eye is important as well because a big eye/thin needle and vice versa won’t do any good for you.
What are The Benefits of Having a Heavy Duty Sewing Machines?
So what’s the use of a heavy duty sewing machine? If you won’t be working hours long, their benefits won’t be obvious. But for professionals working on high-volume projects, a heavy duty machine would be a must-have. You surely don’t want to be replacing your sewing machine once a month. Ideally, a sewing machine should work as long as it satisfies its user. And if you will be sewing dozens or even hundreds of fabrics in a day, getting a heavy-duty machine is obligatory for your budget.
Additionally, no other type of sewing machines can work on such a huge variety of fabrics. If you will be sewing both thick and thin fabrics, you should definitely get a heavy duty machine. All the sewing machines reviewed here are perfect for lightweight to heavyweight fabric. Either denim, canvas or upholstery material sewing; a strong sewing machine will make your task easy.
How to Choose the Right Sewing Machine?
Now, the most important question – how do you find the best heavy-duty sewing machine for your need? That is both simple and quite challenging. It is simple because you only need to be aware of your needs to know what to look for. It is difficult because for some people, determining their requirements is quite an ordeal. But that is the most necessary and important step to take if you don’t want to get something you don’t really need.
Would it be good if you overpaid for unnecessary hundreds of built-in stitches? You will probably answer “no”. And that is why you need to know your demands precisely! Do not just jump into the nearby store and pick the first model you like. A good buy is a result of thorough research. Before you make your final choice, understand what you need, write a list of candidates, try to shortlist them as much as possible, and you should be able to buy the heavy-duty sewing machine.
Which sewing machine is best for heavy fabrics?
All the sewing machine reviews in this article are best for sewing heavy fabric. We recommend to buy Singer 4432 or Janome HD300 comparing overall factors.
Janome Hd3000 vs Singer 4432 Comparison Chart
How Much Should I Spend on a Heavy Duty Sewing Machine?
This one is actually closely related to the previous point. What would be better, a $100 sewing machine or a $700 model? Professional sewing machine price may vary. The only person who can give the right answer to that question is you. After you have determined your price range and your needs, you will be able to get to your final pick. If you need the features of the $700 machine and will be fully satisfied with it, buy it. Otherwise, you will have to look for something else.
Here you have it. We have presented you with 11 great heavy duty best sewing machines you can buy. While they generally do the same job, all of them are unique and have their own buyers. That uniqueness includes their price and their rich features. Anyone may choose the best pick right after completing our review.
We have specified the main benefits of the heavy duty sewing machine, which are their ability to perform high-volume tasks. That will be exceptionally important for professional tailors working hours long every day.
In addition, because we know that the list of a bunch of models is not enough to make the best choice, we have provided you with our list of the best features sewing machines to give you better sewing experience. Hopefully, it will be capable of helping you with getting an idea of what you have to look for.
Most importantly, we have pointed out the importance of being aware of your own needs. No one can tell you exactly which model to buy. Only by fully understanding your requirements, you can be sure that you will find the best heavy duty sewing machine out there.
Remember the main points – define your needs, conduct research, pick the best one, and go buy it! We actually advise you to look for anything in this way, not only sewing machines. Your thorough approach will allow you to always get the best things that you can possibly get! Good luck!